Critical Fallibilism Course Videos
These 8 videos (16.5 hours) teach my philosophy, Critical Fallibilism, which builds on Critical Rationalism (by Karl Popper and secondarily David Deutsch), Objectivism (by Ayn Rand and secondarily Leonard Peikoff) and Theory of Constraints (by Eli Goldratt). The course is primarily my original material and focuses on teaching tools for thinking effectively. Topics covered include:
- IGCs (idea, goal, context triples, and using IGC charts for decision making and judging ideas)
- Qualitative or quantitative
- Discrete (often binary) or continuous
- Sub-goals, combo goals, final goals
- Criticism (explaining why an idea fails at a goal in a context)
- Only act on non-refuted IGCs
- Library of criticism
- Methods to get one non-refuted IGC
- Dealing with conflicts of ideas by considering what to do, from neutral perspective, given an unknown
- High & low attention goals (near or not near a breakpoint)
- High & low attention ideas (mastery, autopilot)
- Critical Rationalism (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Objectivism (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Theory of Constraints (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Excess capacity, buffers, margins of error
- Bottlenecks, constraints, limiting factors
- Silver bullets
- Local & Global Optima (crossing relevant breakpoints)
- Throughput (does this (local) action cause an improvement at the big picture goal?)
I taught the course live over Zoom video conferencing to five students in November 2020. The format was two 2-hour sessions per week (8 total) with slides. I addressed student questions for each slide as we went along. It's a hybrid between lecture and discussion.
Justin Mallone was in the course and said "The ideas in this course - specifically IGCs and breakpoints - helped me think about everyday things like personal purchasing decisions more effectively. This is rational philosophy that you can use in your life!"
Max was in the course and said "the things i've learnt during my tutorials with curi and the CF course have been incredibly valuable."
This product includes 8 videos, 233 slides, and computer-generated subtitles and transcripts. They come as a .zip download with no DRM. I offer a 30-day money back guarantee. Just let me know if you aren't satisfied and I'll give you a full refund.
16.5 hours of video covering 233 slides and student questions